Currently Looking For, Equipment Operators, On-Site
Asphalt Roller Operator
The Roller Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Breakdown Rollers and Finish Rollers. The Roller Operator distributes, breaks down, compresses and gives a finished surface to cooling asphalt. The first stage breaks down the asphalt mix with a breakdown roller. The second stage compresses it with a roller, and the finish roller gives the final finish.
- Operate the roller and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Safely operate roller in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling subgrade and asphalt to desired compaction and smoothness.
- Determine speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures, so that ridges do not form by excessive pressure.
- Push hand roller and pound surfaces using hand tamp, or guide portable power roller over areas not accessible to road roller.
- Operate self-propelled steel-wheeled, vibrator, segmented, or other type of roller to compact earth, subgrade, sub-base and asphalt surfaces
- Operate the Breakdown roller to massage hot mix asphalt into place.
- The second roller uses the Rubber Tire Roller to compress hot mix asphalt to desired compaction.
- Operate the Finish Roller in successive overlapping passes to apply final finish, and remove imperfections with a finish roller.
- Operate Pad Foot Roller, using vibrate when necessary, until ground surface is hard.
- Operate Smooth Drum Roller, to seal subgrade and base surfaces.
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required
- Roller operators may also be required to operate Steel Drum and Pad Foot Rollers to compact and seal earth fills, sub grades, and flexible base.
- Any other duties assigned by your Foreman or Superintendent.